Home     About     Contact     Subscribe

1.19.2009

I Just Can't Think of a Clever Race Report Title

Sorry.

Scott and I commemorated our 13 years of marriage yesterday (our anniversary was in June) by running 13.1 miles. Except not really together, because he runs much faster than I do. And there were approximately 18,000 other people running around us. Well, go big or go home, right?

(Yes, I have on *my eyes*. I'm just kind of vain that way.)

I told him to run his own race and not to worry about staying near me. He could have started with the first wave, with the faster runners, but he kept saying he was going to stay with me.

Okie-dokie.

We waited at the start with my sweet friend Heather (Isn't she cute? Her hubs was running his first half too.) and a few other running buddies.

Once we finally got going everything was moving pretty slow because of the mass of humanity crossing the start line and moving across 4 crowded lanes. Up an overpass of all things. Why didn't I do hill training? Why don't I EVER do hill training?

A group of Elvis impersonators (or maybe one of them was real?) greeted us on the overpass. Definitely picture worthy. Should I refer to them as Elvi since there were more than one?

Anyway.

So we were not yet 2 miles into the thing and my beloved turned back to me, frustrated already at the crowds and the general slowness surrounding him, and said, "I'll see you at the Watermill Express."

Yep. I so knew he was going to do that.

That was our planned meeting point after the finish. So he was basically telling me, "See ya, slowpoke." That's okay though.

After the crowds thinned out I caught up with Heather, Catherine and other running buds. Heather and I managed to stay together for the rest of the race and that made it a LOT of fun. I hope I didn't hold her back, because her other buds were going a bit faster.

Around mile 5 I had to document something else that gave me pause.

Note to self: if ever tempted to run a race in gold lame leggings, please remember these brave, yet somewhat misguided feather bedecked ladies. From their blessed back sides no less.
Yes, those are fish net tops covered by white sequined bras. Yes.
At least they were in a group I suppose and didn't have to go gold all alone.

The rest of the race was a pattern of 5-1 intervals, sometimes 4-2, cheering each mile as we reached it. There were tons of spectators, bands (even one-man), signs and applause. There is something so motivating to hear strangers call out your name (this year our bibs had our names printed much larger) and cheer you on.
Scott had finished about 40 minutes before I did, so he was waiting for me inside the convention center. He felt pretty good considering this was his first half, he had struggled with IT band issues and his training was somewhat, um...spotty.
Okay, Pot called and said the Kettle was looking pretty black too.
Here we are proudly showing off our medals. And my sweaty hair. But look, my mascara survived!

Even though we didn't run together, we ran the same course and covered the same distance. I'm so proud of Scott for crossing over the line from spectator to RUNNER. It's not a huge step, but it changes everything.
He might just be hooked.

20 comments:

  1. OH HOLLY! I am cracking up! What fun we had. Your pictures are great. I look scary...next year I'm putting on my eyes! :) I don't know what was funnier...the gold leggings, Elvis (or Elvi..LOL), or that crazy gong dude. He was annoying. I do know it was a blast running with you. After all our years of running we finally got to finish a race toether. I treasure your friendship. :)

    I hope you are feeling better today. I feel good...just walking a little slow!

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! Double take on the gold lame...oh dear! You made me laugh so hard in this post. Congratulations on the anniversary run with Scott!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!!!

    I am so glad yall did that together! Hee Hee...you always make me laugh with the wild things you see and hear...Oh, and get pictures of!

    Lacie

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow- i'm still blinded from those gold leggings! oooh- so what NOT to wear to a race!!!
    what a great anniversary gift. i'll have to keep this in mind for the future for us...
    and yes- my husband is notorious for saying he'll stick with me, and then he loses patience and runs ahead.
    congrats on another half down! you are the half and marathon queen!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. not sure what to say about the gold lame. wow.... Yes, put on the eyes and be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will never get the image of the gold hinnies out of my mind!!! What were they thinking?!?!??! I am so proud of you and Scott! What a fabulous accomplishment. SO in 13 mnore years will it be your first marathon together??? hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! You look great, even after running 13.1 miles!

    And wow, those gold pants and neon pink shirts/bras/feathers. Quite the site to see, I'm sure! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys are awesome! Happy Anniversary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! To you and Scott. I felt like I was there, only my legs are tired today. :)

    Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Holly - to answer your question about Disney.. it is a must do! The race went by so quickly, there were so many things on the side of the road to keep you distracted. I loved it! There were A LOT of runners but it thinned out quite a bit after the first few miles. I never felt crowded. If you were speaking of the parks and rides outside of the race, it is a great time to go. Very few long waits. You should do it! The goofy... well, you are on your own there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the medals! I looked for you on the news, but didn't see you. I did see the GOLD LADIES though. So they aren't a local myth, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The day (or two) after: Scott's legs are feeling pretty good, considering this was his longest run. He has been faithfully foam rolling which is helping his IT band and hips. I'm trying to nudge him to set his next goal. We'll see.

    My right foot is sore and I'm walking all wonky. I'm trying not to be a hypochondriac, but what does a stress fracture feel like? I'm hoping it's just tendon soreness!

    Thanks everyone for your encouragement and well wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How about "Elvi, gold lame, and slowpokes"? :o)

    What a great way to celebrate your anniversary! love it! and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay Holly!

    And those gold gals - what were they thinking?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a fun race, those pictures are hilarious!! How fun to have your hubs run with you, I get 1 race out of D a year and it's a 4 miler

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do tell the name of the mascara! You guys did great, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  17. glad ya'll had fun! I asked my husband about doing the valentine's day half marathon at surfside. not for him. oh well! he is faster than me and we would likely not run that long together, and he would not do a run/walk deal, so....

    hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, those crowds yelling your name and telling you how great you are is a lot of fun. (I ran, too.)Congratulations! Running 13.1 miles is a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to you both!! One of those specatators with me. Caught you at the finish gave you cowbell and screamed Holly. You kinda looked at me like huh, who..LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say. I try to reply to comments and answer questions within each post so be sure to check back from time to time. Thanks for visiting!